National Peach Cobbler Day
Date When Celebrated: Always April 13
You may not have known it when you awoke this morning, but today is National Peach Cobbler Day. How sweet it is!
Peaches are one of America's favorite fruits. When you put it into a cobbler recipe, you've got a treat, of which people will be asking for seconds.
Peach Cobbler is a deep-dish fruit pie, made with peaches and biscuit (or its equivalent). While it is best to serve hot, it is still deliciously consumed cold, too.
Back in the 1800's, American settlers traveling to the west did not have the ingredients to make a then-popular suet pudding. They used peaches and dough to cobble together this tasty fruit pie.
For the record! The largest Peach Cobbler ever made was baked at the Georgia Peach Festival in 2007. It measured 11' X 5' and 8" deep.
Origin of "National Peach Cobbler Day":
Peach Cobbler Day was created by the Georgia Peach Council in the 1950's, to promote the consumption of canned peaches. Canned peaches can be enjoyed any month of the year. This helps to answer the placement of this special day in April when fresh peaches are not available.
Easy Peach Cobbler
RECIPE FROM: SOUTHERN LIVING
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups fresh peach slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
How to Make It
- Melt butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool.
This dessert is perfect for entertaining guests on a summer night or even during the middle of the day at a cookout. Fresh peaches make this dish absolutely delicious. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.